In an All-American drag race, Tesla Model Y Performance hailing from Palo Alto, California took on the powerful internal combustion Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, a native of Auburn Hills, Michigan.
Although both of these vehicles don’t fall in the same category, Edmunds’ idea of taking them against each other to the dragstrip was interesting. Model Y Performance being smaller in size is almost 1,000 lbs lighter than the Jeep Trackhawk, giving it an edge on the dragstrip.
Tesla Model Y with its electric drivetrain delivers instant torque to the wheels but Jeep Trackhawk with its 6.2L Supercharged V8 engine has almost the same 0-60 mph time (see comparison table below).
|2020 Tesla Model Y Performance||2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk|
|Engine/Drivetrain||Dual-Motor AWD||Supercharged 6.2L V8|
|Power||450 – 500 hp (est)||707 hp|
|Torque||470-500 lb-ft (est)||645 lb-ft|
|Weight||4,419 lbs||5,387 lbs|
Edmunds had recently purchased this Tesla Model Y Performance and put it to track testing. Edmunds’ professional reviewers were impressed with the Model Y compact SUV’s acceleration, handling, braking, weight distribution, and a low center of gravity.
Defeating the Jeep Trackhawk 2 out of 2 drag races has added a worthy ICE opponent to the Model Y Performance’s portfolio, as time passes more will be added.
The Model Y driver in the 1st round didn’t floor the accelerator pedal for a proper launch, still the Model Y won. In the 2nd round, the Model Y launch was perfect and it didn’t give the Trackhawk a chance of coming close.
While testing both vehicles, Edmunds found out that the Jeep Trackhawk’s supercharged engine was not getting as much oxygen as needed due to the altitude of the test track. Electric vehicles, on the other hand, do not need to breathe oxygen like crazy to attain quick acceleration and higher speeds, so the Tesla Model Y Performance won these races with the aces.
More on Tesla:
- Starship SN9 needs two Raptor engines switched after 3 successful static fire tests
- Tesla Model Y scores a perfect 5-star rating in NHTSA crash and rollover safety tests (videos)
- Elon Musk donates $5 million to Khan Academy in pursuit of free education for the planet
- Tesla has been incorporated in India, expected to start operations this year
- Tesla Model Y gets the heated steering wheel in a silent upgrade
- Under construction Giga Texas looks majestic on a snowy day (drone video)