Tesla (TSLA) has finally increased the price of its optional Autopilot Full Self-Driving (FSD) software package to $10,000 as hinted by Elon Musk last week.
The price hike is the result of a successful limited release of the FSD Beta software to selected Tesla Early Access Program members and other drivers considered as “safe & cautious” by the automaker.
Several of these select beta testers of the Tesla FSD early release version are also social media influencers with thousands of followers. This is helping Tesla create the much-needed hype and marketing as these Tesla owners are sharing short video clips and extensive testing videos of FSD Beta.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has continuously warned throughout the years that as Tesla FSD matures and new features are released, the package will get more expensive with the time. The amount of R&D and testing budget that Tesla has invested in exploring Full Self-Driving capabilities in the past few years is now coming to fruition.
A poll on Twitter asked the Tesla community what would be the next price milestone for the FSD package? Options were $11k, $12.5k, $15k, or $20k+ — most people thought it would be $12,500 and it will come as soon as 3-6 months.
In my opinion, the next FSD package price will be around $12k and it will come within the next 1 year or so — this thought comes as a result of my years of studying and writing about Tesla and interaction with the community.
And as soon as Elon Musk’s dream of a Robotaxi fleet materializes, the price of Full Self-Driving will increase exponentially, might even cross the $20k barrier because of its commercial value.
For potential customers not willing to spend $10,000 on Tesla Autopilot FSD, the basic safety with AEB and Lane Assist is always there, this price hike should not hinder Tesla’s mission of sustainable transportation globally.
Source: Tesla online car configurator.
Stay tuned for more and more Tesla news, videos, and updates, follow us on:
Google News | Flipboard | RSS (Feedly).
- Watch Tesla Model S Plaid hit top speeds on the German Autobahn
- Tesla Cybertruck spotted using 4-wheel steering on city streets and sighted across the US as production gets closer
- Tesla Autopilot swerves to avoid a rogue tire that had already flipped a car in mid-air (dashcam video)
- Watch how Tesla Model X Plaid electric SUV defeats a highly modified Porsche 992 Turbo S Coupe on a dragstrip
- Tesla FSD Beta v11.3.3 (2022.45.12) is going wide release, watch the early test videos
- Tesla begins the rollout of FSD Beta v11.3.3 (2022.45.12) with expected bug fixes in the previous version