Tesla’s Model Y electric SUV sets a new standard in crash safety rating in the Euro NCAP safety tests and evaluations based on the authority’s new and more strict standards brought forward in 2020 – 2022.
Tesla Model Y scored an overall average safety score of 92%, which is the highest ever for any vehicle (ICE or electric) tested by Euro NCAP. The 2nd safest vehicle on this graph is the Lexus NX with an overall average crash safety score of 89%.
Tesla Model Y earned an overall 5-star rating and the highest average safety score in the Euro NCAP test results with the following scores in major areas (full PDF report below):
- Adult Occupant: 97%
- Child Occupant: 87%
- Vulnerable Road Users (VRUs): 82%
- Safety Assist (Crash Avoidance): 98%
Tesla has been making constant improvements to the safety of its vehicles. The US-based automaker’s CEO Elon Musk has iterated several times that occupant safety is Tesla’s #1 priority.
The far-side airbag is the latest addition to the safety features of the Tesla Model Y. This airbag deploy in a side impact crash between the front passenger seats. This is the space where the driver or passenger has their head swerved depending if the vehicle is t-boned from the left or right (see video demo below).
The Tesla Model Y vehicles tested by Euro NCAP are equipped with rear underbody casting (Giga Casting). Along with the rigid battery pack, the rear underbody casting provides an extra layer of safety in case of cabin intrusion from the front, rear, or either side.
The rear underbody casting combined with our fortified battery pack provides immense crash strength to the safety cell, helping to maintain compartment integrity. This strength allows our advanced restraint systems to deploy effectively inside the cabin, holding occupants in place and providing protection against cabin intrusions.Tesla official blog.
Borrowing the Tesla Vision technology from the Autopilot/FSD package, Tesla has enhanced safety features for vulnerable road users (VRUs) and the safety assist suite.
Tesla just recently rolled out a new safety feature in a free over-the-air (OTA) software update that alters the default seat belt behavior. This new safety enhancement uses Tesla Vision to predict a crash and pretension the seat belts.
This new cutting-edge Tesla Vision technology has proved helpful and Tesla was able to score a 98% in crash avoidance tests in both the Euro NCAP and Australian ANCAP safety ratings.
Tesla Model Y Euro NCAP Test Results (PDF)
- Tesla will fix the window finger-pinching recall issue for 1.1 million vehicles with a free OTA software update
- You can turn on the blind spot camera feed by tapping the turn signal icon on your Tesla’s center touchscreen
- Tesla Model Y earns the highest-ever safety score in the Euro NCAP new protocol crash tests
- Tesla production update: Giga Shanghai 1M, Australia & New Zealand get Model Y deliveries, 3M electric cars produced
- Tesla Model 3 and Model Y are the most queried luxury cars in the US for auto loans, data analysis by LendingTree suggests
- Clogged air filters are the cause of the bad smell in a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y cabin — here’s how to fix it
- Tesla Model Y structural battery is super rigid but has zero repairability, Munro (videos)
- Tesla 2022.20 update enables prediction of rough roads ahead to adjust air suspension, Tesla Vision allows new seat belt behavior, more