This time, a Tesla Model S Plaid faces an unusual opponent in a drag racing competition — a classic Rail Dragster. To face this light and powerful ICE monster at the dragstrip, the Model S Plaid had to be gutted (removed unnecessary weight from the interior like seats, etc.).
Rail Dragsters are a breed of purpose-built cars for drag racing that are light, with a long wheelbase, and savage when launching off the line.
This is perhaps the first time a Tesla Model S Plaid has confronted such a competitor, normal ones have been facing a hard time keeping up with the luxury electric sedan since its launch.
The Plaid is weight-reduced and running on the stock Pirelli P Zeros on 19” wheels. (Backseats and most rear material removed. Both front seats are still IN PLACE, along with all door panels, airbags, speakers and subwoofer.)Tesla Plaid Channel / YouTube (video below).
Related: Here’s how fast the Model S Plaid is after 40 quarter-mile runs and at a 20% state of charge
Tesla Model S Plaid was at 89% state-of-charge (SoC) when the driver puts it in the Drag Strip Mode (a custom Tesla software package for Model S/X Plaid to launch the vehicle at a dragstrip). This was the amount of battery left in the Model S Plaid after previously drag racing a BMW M8 Competition — enough for a good launch.
Tesla Model S is actually a large family sedan and the Plaid variant gives some thrilling performance figures like the 0-60 mph in just 1.99 seconds. Therefore, it’s not so wrong to put this car against a purpose-built dragster machine — just to see an exciting race and entertaining results.
With such an opponent in the other lane, the Tesla Plaid driver has to be agile to have a great reaction time at the start — otherwise catching up would be a dream only. Tesla Model S Plaid had a reaction time of 0.006-second in this race while the Rail Dragster had 0.026.
The Tesla Model S Plaid lost the drag race. Plaid completed the 1/4-mile run in 9.216 seconds, while the Rail Dragster did it in 9.006 seconds.
Let us know what you think about this drag race in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for constant Tesla updates, follow us on:
Google News | Flipboard | RSS (Feedly).
- Watch how Tesla Model X Plaid electric SUV defeats a highly modified Porsche 992 Turbo S Coupe on a dragstrip
- Tesla engineer explains how the Drag Strip Mode feature on a Model S/X Plaid works (video)
- Tesla Semi and the Cybertruck engage in a friendly drag race outside Giga Texas (video)
- Tesla Model X Plaid goes drag racing against the fastest ICE SUVs — Urus Performante, Cayenne Turbo GT, BMW X5M, AMG GLE 63 S
- Unplugged Tesla Model S Plaid faces Ferrari Enzo in a drag racing challenge
- Tesla Model S Plaid faces its fiercest drag racing opponent, the Lucid Air Sapphire
- An odd but interesting drag race: Tesla Model 3 Performance vs. Rivian R1T electric pickup truck
- Tesla Model S Plaid goes drag racing against a 26 times more expensive Bugatti Chiron