Norway is the most EV-centric country in Europe and has been maintaining its lead for almost a decade now. The first Tesla Model S was introduced in Norway in 2013 and since then Tesa has made a large contribution to the rich EV history of the country.
Tesla registrations crossed the 100,000 mark in Norway last year (December 2022). Out of these 100k Teslas, the US-based electric automaker sold 25,878 cars in 2022 alone.
Compared to the previous year 2021 in which Tesla sold 19,464 cars in Norway. Tesla achieved a year-over-year (YoY) growth of ~33% in 2022 in the country.
As we can witness in the chart above, Tesla Model Y has been the main catalyst for Tesla sales growth in Norway in 2022. Tesla Model Y is a crossover SUV that perfectly suits the European market. It gained instant popularity when it was launched in Europe in August of 2021.
Tesla sold 17,356 Model Y electric SUVs in Norway in 2022. Model Y accounted for 67% of the total Tesla sales in the country last year (source: Norwegian Road Federation via elbil.no).
By delivering 8,562 cars in Q4 2022 in Norway, Tesla dominated the last quarter car sales in the country against other automakers like Volkswagen, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Skoda, and Hyundai (see charts above by JPR 007 / Twitter).
According to the vehicle registration data compiled by elbil.no, Volkswagen ID.4 was the 2nd most sold electric vehicle in Norway in 2022. VW sold 11,561 units of its Tesla Model Y competitor ID.4 and ID.4 GTX. Ford Mustang Mach-E came at the 10th position with 4,226 units sold.
Europe started producing its localized Tesla Model Y at Giga Berlin last year and the production is expected to ramp up even further this year. Interestingly, Giga Berlin has already started exporting Tesla Model Ys to Taiwan as well.
Top 10 EVs Sold In Norway (2022)
- Tesla Model Y: 17,356
- Volkswagen ID.4: 11,561
- Skoda Enyaq: 7,133
- BMW iX: 6,127
- Volvo XC40: 5,507 (of which 5279 were EVs)
- Hyundai IONIQ 5: 5,044
- Audi Q4 e-tron: 4,928
- Audi e-tron: 4,740
- Polestar Polestar 2: 4,692
- Ford Mustang Mach-E: 4,226
* Data source: Norwegian Road Federation via elbil.no
- Cybertruck interior with redesigned yoke steering seen in new pics from the Tesla Shareholder Meeting event
- Tesla sends this month’s 2nd consignment of Model 3 and Model Y EVs from China to Canada
- Tesla will have its ChatGPT moment with Full Self-Driving cars, says Elon Musk
- Tesla’s future is the Optimus humanoid robot, not cars — predicts Elon Musk
- Tesla teases its next-gen car, Elon Musk confirms 2 new EVs that can hit 5M+ units a year production volume
- Tesla to start Cybertruck deliveries this year, Elon Musk at 2023 Shareholder Meeting (pics, videos)
- This is how the rear fascia of the Tesla Model 3 Project Highland could look like (artist renders)
- Project Highland Tesla Model 3 stalkless steering wheel revealed in Fremont factory drone video