Tesla released the newer version 4.0 of its mobile app for iOS late last month. The new version update for Android is still pending and the currently available version in the Google Play Store is 3.10.14.
Since this is a major version change from 3.X to 4.X, Tesla has made some major design changes to the interface and also added some new functionalities to the app.
One app to unlock them all
The biggest change that Tesla has brought to its app in version 4.0 is the ability to unlock any Tesla vehicle that you own. Once all the Tesla cars are added to the app that a user owns, it does not matter which car the owner is approaching, it will unlock itself without selecting it in the app.
In the previous version (3.0 onwards), the user had to select the specific Tesla car that he was approaching in order to unlock it (see screenshot below).
Tesla has made some not-so-drastic changes to the interface of the Tesla phone app V4.0. Some items have been moved from their places, especially the battery state of charge (SoC) bar is now small and moved from the center to the top-left of the screen.
Now the media controls (play, pause, next, prev, volume+-) are given on the main screen of the app, saving one tap that took you to media controls in the older version of the app. The media controls only appear when the driver is sitting in the car.
Icons and text are made smaller in the Tesla phone app 4.0+ to make the best use of the screen real estate and accommodate more controls. I have sketched out the following screenshot to pinpoint the UI changes made from V3.0 to V4.0.
The Loot Box icon in the top-right corner has now been replaced with the profile icon. Tesla Loot Box (referral program perks) can now be accessed by going to your profile.
Vehicle Rendering & Animations
As we can see in the screenshot above, Tesla has updated the rendering of the in-app vehicle. This new look is from a sort of aerial angle.
The vehicle animations like the wheels spinning while the car is on the move, the HVAC vents blowing inside the car, frunk and trunk opening are more fluid and seamless compared to the previous version of the app.
The HVAC animation in Tesla App 4.0 is particularly interesting as it shows the animated wind blowing inside the cabin from the vehicle dash. When cold air is blowing it shows the system displays it in milky white color and when hot air is pumped into the cabin, the wind color turns to red.
In version 3.0 and before, it showed only static aeros pointing towards the back of the cabin.
- With the Tesla mobile app 4.0, owners are able to conveniently buy official Tesla accessories and merchandise from the app by going to Profile > Tesla Shop.
- The list of nearby Superchargers in the previous app has been removed. In Tesla App 4.0, the map will show the closest 4 Tesla Supercharger locations by tapping Location from the main screen menu.
Google Play store has now updated the Tesla mobile app with the latest version 4.0.2-657, so happy updating. Let us know your thoughts on the new version in the comments section below.
- 2023 Tesla Holiday Update (2023.44.25) release notes leak ahead of its public rollout
- Cybertruck in Beast Mode beats a Porsche 911 in drag racing while pulling another one
- Cybertruck’s range figures disappoint Tesla customers, even the range extender doesn’t match expectations
- Watch how Tesla Cybertruck performs in a crash safety test against ICE pickup trucks
- Tesla Cybertruck starts at $60,990 — the AWD variant might qualify for the Federal Tax Credit
- Cybertruck Delivery Event live updates, Watch the live-stream recording, more
- Tesla releases Cybertruck Delivery Event details, entry will require QR code scanning, TSLA stock price surges, more
- Watch the Tesla Cybertruck drive through the salty sea water like a boss