Elon Musk, at last, appeared at the Tesla Gigafactory Berlin on the 3rd day of his tour to Germany. In less than a 10 min talk to the media and fans, he delivered some important information about Tesla’s future plans, especially for Europe and Giga Berlin (interview video below).
Tesla Model Y Core Structural Design Transformation
He said that the Tesla Model Y coming out of Giga Berlin will not just be a copy of the one currently built at the Tesla Fremont factory in the United States. “It’s actually a radical redesign of the core technology of building a car”, he said.
According to Elon Musk, this will be the first time that there’s going to be a transformation in the core structural design of the vehicle.
What this means is that both the U.S. and European Tesla Model Y versions might look the same from the outside but they will be radically different on how they are going to be designed, manufactured, and produced. No wonder if Tesla’s Unibody Casting Machine and 100 meter wiring patents are seen in action at Giga Berlin for the first time plus more.
He also added that he will reveal more information in this regard on the Tesla Battery Day which is planned for the 22nd of this month. But its definitely not something small, when Musk used the ‘radical’ meant something big and he also emphasized this in his following comments.
Other Key Points From The Interview
- Elon Musk will be visiting Giga Berlin often.
- The presence of a train station at the Gigafactory, employees living in Berlin will have a convenient commute to and from work.
- Giga Berlin’s construction is moving as fast as possible because we need to transition to sustainable energy as soon as possible.
- There is still a very small percentage of cars made that are electric.
- Tesla will also be building batteries and cells at Giga Berlin in the future, not just cars.
- Gigafactory Berlin will be the most advanced car manufacturing facility in the world, the U.S. factory will be upgraded later on.
- A color lab and a multi-layer paint shop will be part of Giga Berlin.
- There will be a big party to celebrate the opening of Europe’s first Gigafactory and all the neighbors from Grünheide will be invited.
- “I am pretty confident this will be the most environmentally friendly factory in the world”, said Elon Musk.