We know that this is an odd combination — putting a luxury compact sedan against a pickup truck in a drag racing challenge. But nevertheless, it is interesting too — two quiet electric vehicles competing on a dragstrip against each other and we get to explore Rivian’s potential.
YouTuber Branden Flasch bought a Rivian R1T electric pickup truck recently and he took it on a drive to a dragstrip in North Carolina for a drag racing competition against the Tesla Model 3 Performance (video below).
On its way to the dragstrip, we get to look at the center touchscreen display of the Rivian in a bit of detail. The UI of Rivian’s center display is quite similar to Tesla, most of the arrangement of icons and controls at the bottom don’t look unfamiliar.
Before taking a look at the Tesla Model 3 Performance vs. Rivian R1T drag racing challenge, let’s go over a specifications comparison of both electric vehicles.
|Tesla Model 3 Performance||Rivian R1T|
|Starting Price (MSRP)||$62,990||Dual Motor: $73,000|
Quad Motor: $87,000
|Range||315 miles (506 km)||Dual Motor: 260 miles (375 km)|
Quad Motor: 314 miles (503 km)
|Drivetrain||Dual-Motor AWD||Dual-Motor AWD / Quad Motor AWD optional|
|Power||490 hp||835 hp|
|Torque||486 lb-ft||908 lb-ft|
|Curb Weight||4,702 lb (1,847 kg)||7,173 lb (3254 kg)|
|Acceleration (060 mph)||3.1 secs||3.0 secs|
|Top Speed||162 mph (261 km/h)||124.9 mph (201 km/h)|
|CO 2 Emissions||Zero||Zero|
|Full Self-Driving (optional)||Yes||No|
|Over-the-air software updates||Yes||Yes|
|Track Mode||Yes||8 modes (for sports, casual, and off-road driving)|
Although the power and torque specifications of the Rivian R1T are far better than the Tesla Model 3 Performance, but for its large size and purpose, it is 41.6% heavier as well.
Rivian does not provide 0-60 mph acceleration figures separately for the Dual and Quad-Motor variants. Rivian R1T Quad Motor was used to race the Tesla Model 3 Performance in this video so we consider it is 3.0 seconds. However, as it launched in multiple attempts with different modes (even Sport Mode), R1T was not able to beat the Model 3 Performance off the line.
Tesla Model 3 Performance was a clear winner in this drag racing competition due to multiple factors like power-to-weight ratio, size, and Tesla’s software optimization. We cannot wait for the day when Tesla’s Cybertruck hits a dragstrip against Rivian R1T and Ford F-150 lightning, its true competitors.
Let’s watch the video and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
- Watch how Tesla Model X Plaid electric SUV defeats a highly modified Porsche 992 Turbo S Coupe on a dragstrip
- Tesla engineer explains how the Drag Strip Mode feature on a Model S/X Plaid works (video)
- Tesla Semi and the Cybertruck engage in a friendly drag race outside Giga Texas (video)
- Tesla Model X Plaid goes drag racing against the fastest ICE SUVs — Urus Performante, Cayenne Turbo GT, BMW X5M, AMG GLE 63 S
- Unplugged Tesla Model S Plaid faces Ferrari Enzo in a drag racing challenge
- Tesla Model S Plaid faces its fiercest drag racing opponent, the Lucid Air Sapphire
- An odd but interesting drag race: Tesla Model 3 Performance vs. Rivian R1T electric pickup truck
- Tesla Model S Plaid goes drag racing against a 26 times more expensive Bugatti Chiron