Tesla (TSLA) has updated its Referral Program for the first time in 2024. The Tesla mobile app showed new perks added to the rewards system yesterday.
The company has added its green energy products to the Referral Program in the latest update. Last year’s update to the Tesla Referral Program only had vehicles in it.
Yesterday, Tesla added Solar Roof, Solar Panels, Powerwall, and Full Self-Driving (FSD) Capability to the Referral Program benefits.
Tesla provides its customers with a unique referral code that they can give to their friends and family. When someone purchases a Tesla vehicle using this code, both the referring customer and the new buyer receive perks like free Supercharging, solar roof, wall chargers, etc.
As we can see in the screenshot above, a Tesla owner who refers another person to buy a Solar Roof, Solar Panels, or a Powerwall earns him 9,000 credits each.
On the other hand, the buyer gets a $500 discount on a Solar Roof, Solar Panels, or a Tesla Powerwall when using a referral code to purchase these products from the company.
The referrer can then redeem these Tesla Referral Program credits to get discounts on products and services they get from the company down the road (Tesla credits redemption instructions on the official page here).
The more interesting part is the Autopilot FSD Capability that Tesla is offering to the new buyers. If someone purchases a new Tesla vehicle with a referral code from their friends, family, or acquaintances, they’re eligible to get 3 months of free Full Self-Driving software package enabled for their vehicle.
Tesla currently offers the following two Autopilot packages.
- Enhanced Autopilot: It costs $6,000 and has limited Autopilot capabilities that come in handy as an Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) for highways. It also includes Autopark and Smart Summon features.
- Full Self-Driving: This is the full-fledged Autopilot package that is still in the development phase (the latest version is FSD Beta 12). This package includes two advanced self-driving features Autosteer on City Streets Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. New Tesla buyers can enjoy this feature for free for 3 months when ordering their next Tesla vehicle with a referral code.
Tesla is the founder of referral-based sales in the automotive industry. The automaker took this strategy right out of the internet’s affiliate marketing playbook. So far, this has proven a successful approach by leveraging word-of-mouth marketing through existing customers.
Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
- Vandals fail to break the Cybertruck glass in California — Elon Musk says it’s the finest in apocalypse defense technology
- Cybertruck rust or just dust — and how to fix the issue
- Study: The Current Generation of Students Is Pushing for Sustainable Electric Vehicles
- FSD Beta v12.2.1 is coming pre-installed on new Tesla vehicles with Full Self-Driving transfers
- Tesla begins wider release of FSD Beta 12.2.1 (2023.44.30.2) — it can finally take smooth U-turns (videos)
- Tesla to fix auto wiper issues with an OTA software update soon