Expect the unexpected from Tesla, the automaker did not offer a Tow Hitch for the Model Y SUV at the time of the launch and even after deliveries started but later on Tesla started offering it on new vehicle orders but what about the earlier ones? The owners can now get a Model Y Tow Package retrofit for $1,200 USD.
The price for the Model Y Tow Hitch setup is $1,000 USD when adding it to the new vehicle purchase order, this option was added to the Tesla online car configurator back in April.
A removable panel is however present in the rear diffuser that had made the Tesla Model Y owners curious and one of them had the courage to remove it to look inside for a hidden tow hitch or a possible integration solution but what he found was a few bolts and screws.
Now Tesla’s online shop is offering the Tow Package that includes the following components:
- 1 x high strength steel tow bar with 2″ hitch receiver
- 1 x trailer harness with NA 7-pin standard connector
- 1 x tow mode software package
The description of the product with the towing capacity with different wheel setups is posted by Tesla as follows:
Equip your Model Y with a high-strength steel tow bar and 2” hitch receiver capable of towing up to 3,500 pounds (1,587 kg) on 19” and 21” wheels or up to 2,300 pounds (1,043 kg) on 20” wheels. Tow Mode actively monitors trailer sway and adjusts wheel braking and speed.Price includes shipping and installation and ships to your preferred Service Center.
Tow bar for Tesla Model 3 is only available in Europe and has the max towing capacity of 2,000 pounds (910 kg), Model Y has a higher rating because of an SUV body type vs the Model 3’s sedan and it is now obvious that the Tesla Model Y will have the Tow Package available globally, be it made in Gigafactory Shanghai or Giga Berlin aside from the Tesla Fremont Factory.
Related Tesla Model Y Stories:
- ‘Bask in its silent intensity’ — Model Y video review by Kelley Blue Book
- ‘Ferrari and Lamborghini are in the same way people use horses now’, Jay Leno’s Model Y review
- ‘This car should be a wakeup call for any manufacturer’ — Model Y teardown verdict
- A rare look inside Tesla Gigafactory Berlin shows a tremendous amount of progress