Tesla vs. Porsche track rivalry accelerated when the German automaker launched its sports electric vehicle, the Porsche Taycan — there have been several drag races between the Model S and the Taycan already but an ultimate one has yet to take place even after the intense one you can witness in the latest video below.
Automotive enthusiast YouTube channel ‘Lovecars’ organized a drag race between a Tesla Model S P90D and a Porsche Taycan Turbo — both of these variants are not top-of-the-line in the lineup but can still dazzle most internal combustion sports cars on the dragstrip with their 0-60 mph time of 3.3 and 3.2 seconds respectively.
Tesla has long discontinued the Model S P90D (Dual-Motor Performance loaded with a 90 kWh battery pack) variant and the hosts on the show admit that this is a 4-year old car but the Taycan is a fresh new niche electric sports car, still the result of the race in wet conditions is impressive.
I couldn’t resist the urge to grab a few amazing screens from the video where both of these cars look amazing in the rain, check out these beauties, kudos to the owners of the Model S P90D for keeping the car in such mint condition for this long.
The video description of this race says the following about the cars and event:
Today we put the brand new 2020 Taycan Turbo up against the Tesla Model S P90D in a Drag Race. Teslas have been largely leading the charge on Drag Races across the internet for some time now, can the new Porsche Taycan Turbo put a stop to that? Neither of the two cars is at the top of their range, we could have used a Porsche Taycan Turbo S or a Tesla Model S P100D or Model S Performance, but these are the cars we had access to.
The cars are very similar on paper the Tesla Model S P90D was showing a 0-60 times as little as 3.3 seconds while the Taycan Turbo shows at 3.2 seconds. Will the extra torque of the Tesla give it the edge, or will the Taycans extra power prevail to the victory? Watch to find out!Lovecars / YouTube
Yikes! The Model S P90D just lost by a small margin but still did a good job against a brand new Porsche Taycan Turbo, if the Taycan fails in the American market, it will solely by the fault of its ultra-low EPA range of 201-miles, it’s even lower than the first-ever Tesla Model S launched, Porsche should worry a bit.
Popular television car show BBC Top Gear was the first to set up a drag race between a Tesla Model S P100D and a Porsche Taycan Turbo S but later on, it was revealed that the race wasn’t fair enough, the situation escalated so much that Elon Musk called the show “Low Gear” in one of his tweets.
Since then the world is waiting for the top variants of both cars to have a proper and fair drag race between the top versions of both cars, stay tune and we will bring you the news as soon as it happens.
Latest Tesla Stories:
- Tesla starts offering insurance in Texas, based on real-time driving behavior
- Tesla had delivered 1,400 cars when it went public, Lucid & Rivian have 0, Musk raises an eyebrow
- Tesla sets a new standard in crash safety with data-driven testing at its dedicated Crash Lab
- Starbase update: Mechazilla Chopsticks assembly, Raptor vacuum engine on SN20, SN21 nosecone work, more
- GMC Hummer EV looks massive when parked beside a Tesla Model Y
- Tesla Model Y matrix LED headlights, structural battery, and front mega casting unveiled at Giga Berlin Giga-Fest
- SpaceX becomes the second-ever unicorn company to reach a $100 billion valuation, Musk leads Bezos with a $30B gap
- Tesla is moving its HQ to Texas, Musk announces during the 2021 Shareholders’ Meeting