In an early morning tweetstorm today, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has opened about a few more things in connection with the recent Battery Day and production at the automaker’s European manufacturing plant Gigafactory Berlin.
In response to questions from the Tesla Community, Elon Musk said that the first production Tesla Model Y cars will have the latest 4680 cells with Structural Battery and the body-in-white will be front and rear single-piece castings.
Tesla’s Fremont and Shanghai production plants will be upgraded to the latest technologies in about ~2 years as the processes get well established and perfected, he added.
Tesla’s recent acquisition of a sinking battery assembly automation company ATW points in the same direction that Elon Musk has described in his tweet above.
He also explained in his next tweet that Tesla is expecting to make heavy use of the LiFePO4 (LFP / Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries in its mid-range cars — which currently are different Model 3 and Model Y variants.
Tesla will also be using LFP batteries for stationary storage use in Megapack and huge energy storage projects such as the one currently underway in California in collaboration with PG&E.
What Elon Musk has just revealed has been in the works for a long time as we can see in the following Giga Berlin diecast floor blueprint diagram. There are going to 8 Giga Casting machines commissioned at Gigfactory Berlin, this will be the first large-scale implementation of these machines in an automotive production facility.
This is the reason Elon Musk said there will be ‘significant production risk’ associated with this first-time experience. He further said that the Model 3 production hell experience from the past has made Tesla stronger in this area and the Silicon Valley automaker is better equipped to face the challenges this time.
Related Tesla News:
- Starship SN9 needs two Raptor engines switched after 3 successful static fire tests
- Tesla Model Y scores a perfect 5-star rating in NHTSA crash and rollover safety tests (videos)
- Elon Musk donates $5 million to Khan Academy in pursuit of free education for the planet
- Tesla has been incorporated in India, expected to start operations this year
- Tesla Model Y gets the heated steering wheel in a silent upgrade
- Under construction Giga Texas looks majestic on a snowy day (drone video)
- Tesla Model Y Standard Range RWD and 3rd-row seats are here (specs, leaked pics)
- Elon Musk throws a jab at Facebook, suggests using Signal instead of WhatsApp