Governor of Nevada Joe Lombardo during his first State of the State address yesterday said that he along with Elon Musk and a team from Tesla would be announcing a new $3.5 billion Tesla Semi plant. According to Lombardo, this plant will be located in Northern Nevada.
The Nevada Independent reported this in a story they covered yesterday evening. Tesla’s new $3.5 billion manufacturing facility in Northern Nevada is part of Governor Lombardo’s $11 billion spending plan over two years.
Today, on 24th January 2023, Tesla CEO Elon Musk, his team, and Gov. Lombardo will be delivering the details of the new $3.5 billion Tesla Semi manufacturing facility, Lombardo informed during his address yesterday (recorded video and transcript PDF below).
“I am looking forward to joining Elon Musk and the team at Tesla tomorrow when they unveil plans to build a brand new $3.5 Billion-dollar advanced manufacturing facility in northern Nevada for the company’s all-electric semi-trucks. Economic development matters,” Gov. Joe Lombardo said during his first State of the State address. “I’m proud to declare that Nevada is back open for business, effective immediately,” he added.
Tesla already has a Gigafactory in the state of Nevada called “Giga Nevada” in short. It is located in Reno, a city that falls in northern Nevada.
For a long time, Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) and its partner Panasonic used Giga Nevada to manufacture cells and battery packs for its electric cars made at the automaker’s Fremont car factory.
In 2020, Tesla chose Giga Nevada for the future production of its all-electric class-8 semi truck aka Tesla Semi. In the presence of the COVID-19 pandemic and the following supply chain issues, Tesla Semi production got delayed for about 2 years.
Tesla accelerated the development of the assembly lines and the manufacturing building last year and Elon Musk announced that the production had begun in October of 2022.
PepsiCo plans to expand its fleet of Tesla Semis to 100 operational trucks this year. Tesla also has thousands of other orders pending from different corporate, small, and individual customers that it needs to fulfill.
Tesla never officially declared the production capacity of the existing Giga Nevada Tesla Semi plant. So, this new $3.5 billion factory might just be a huge expansion to Giga Nevada’s Tesla Semi manufacturing facility.
We will know the details today as Elon Musk, Tesla engineers, and Gov. Joe Lombardo put them out today, so stay tuned.
- Tesla Semi trucks impress in real-world range and performance testing, first PepsiCo driver shares his review of the electric long hauler
- Tesla Semi and the Cybertruck engage in a friendly drag race outside Giga Texas (video)
- 38 Tesla Semi trucks spotted at Frito-Lay facility in Modesto, CA — PepsiCo to expand Megacharger network, more
- Tesla Semi 750 kW dedicated charging station, charge port, and connector, spotted in new pictures from the Frito-Lay parking lot
- Tesla’s $3.6B expansion of Giga Nevada aims at 100 GWh of 4680 cells and Semi-truck volume production
- Elon Musk, Tesla, and the Governor of Nevada to announce a new $3.5 billion Tesla Semi factory
- Tesla Semi parts catalog diagrams show its huge battery pack, other systems, and components
- Sandy Munro weighs in on the leaked Cybertruck casting image, intends to teardown Tesla Semi