On Sunday, the CEO of the world’s leading electric car manufacturer Elon Musk made an assuring statement that the Cybertruck production will start this year.
Tesla already has a backlog of more than a million Cybertruck reservations to take care of. Timely deliveries to customers will depend on how quickly Tesla ramps up production.
Although Tesla now has a significant amount of factory development, automation, and production ramp-up knowledge gained from the Model 3 and Model Y experiences.
But, the Cybertruck is different. It has a stainless steel body and large underbody castings that need to be Giga-Casted using the giant new IDRA Giga Presses. So, the production process of the Cybertruck will have considerable differences from what Tesla has already done with its lineup.
“Very hard car to build, as it is unlike any other,” Elon Musk said in a tweet recognizing the difficulties that lay ahead in Cybertruck production.
“But, as stated publicly, Cybertruck production starts this year,” Musk further clarified that Tesla is putting all its effort to start Cybertruck production in 2023.
Musk had to reassure the estimated Cybertruck production-start timeline to counter the anti-Tesla narrative that this product will never reach production. Following are a couple of such tweets that create doubts about the Cybertruck ever becoming a reality.
Just last week, Elon Musk tweeted that he had already checked out the beta prototype of the Cybertruck and liked it a lot.
A Cybertruck prototype with multiple changes and design improvements was spotted last year. The beta prototype Musk is referring to in the following tweet must have more design refinements that he did not outline yet. During the Q3 2022 earnings call, Elon Musk revealed that Cybertruck production has entered the “tooling” phase.
IDRA has been actively delivering parts of its 9,000-ton Giga Casting machine to Giga Texas. A large chunk of which reached the Cybertruck factory last month. Setting up this Cybertruck Giga Press is one of the major milestones towards the Cybertruck production start.
Stay tuned for constant Tesla updates, follow us on:
Google News | Flipboard | RSS (Feedly).
- Tesla obtains wheel cover design patent for the Cybertruck
- Tesla Semi and the Cybertruck engage in a friendly drag race outside Giga Texas (video)
- Tesla Autopilot HW4 is coming, Elon Musk to announce big things on Investor Day
- Elon Musk opens Tesla’s Global Engineering HQ in Palo Alto, pre-production Cybertrucks spotted at the event
- Close-to-production Tesla Cybertruck prototype spotted, 4-wheel steering test video, rear light update by Musk
- Elon Musk reassures that the production of the Tesla Cybertruck will start this year
- Huge parts of the 9,000-ton Tesla Cybertruck Giga Press arrive at Giga Texas
- Sandy Munro weighs in on the leaked Cybertruck casting image, intends to teardown Tesla Semi