A short video of a 1/4-mile drag race between the Tesla Model S P100D and the Ferrari F12 surfaced on YouTube showing the sheer insult of the internal combustion sports car by the hands of a fully electric family sedan.
Tesla Model S Performance is the world’s quickest 0-60 mph production car with just 2.3 seconds, and with the launch of a Tri-Motor Plaid variant sometime later this year this time will be shoved off even further.
It is not the first time that the 6.5L V12 Ferrari F12 has challenged the Teslas, late last year it was even defeated by a Tesla Model 3 Performance in 200M and 400M drag races on an abandoned airport runway.
The specs of the Ferrari F12 (see table 1.1) show that it is ~1360 lbs lighter, has more torque compared to the Model S P100D but lacks the instant torque that helped our electric sedan win this race with flying colors.
|Options||Tesla Model S P100D||Ferrari F12|
|Battery-Pack/Engine||100 kWh Performance Version||6.5L V12|
|Drivetrain||Dual Motor Performance AWD||Rear-Wheel-Drive (RWD)|
|Transmission||Single Speed Clutchless 10:1Reduction Gear||7-speed automatic|
|0-60 mph||2.3s (with Cheetah Stance)||2.9s|
|Top speed||163 mph (262 km/h)||211 mph (340 km/h)|
|Launch control||Ludicrous+ Mode||N/A|
|Horsepower||588 hp (438 kW)||731 hp @ 8,250 rpm (545 kW)|
|Max.Torque||920 lb-ft (1,247 Nm) @ Instant||508 lb·ft @ 6,000 rpm (689 N·m)|
|Curb weight||4,960 lbs (2,250 kg)||3,600 lb (1,633 kg)|
|Starting Price (USD)||$94,990||$327,000|
The reign of ICE sports cars always winning at the track is certainly starting to fade away. Some automakers have realized this early — Porsche, for instance, made a smart move introducing its new Taycan EV. Can it rival the performance of a Tesla? Well, it has already challenged the Tesla Model S P100D multiple times and the clear winner isn’t too clear… yet.
- 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance top speed tested on the German Autobahn
- Watch the captivating Tesla Model 3 vs. Audi RS 6 drag race battle
- It’s time for Tesla Model 3 snow drifting in Track Mode (videos)
- Watch an epic Tesla Model 3 vs. Polestar 2 drag race battle
- Tesla Plaid beats the most powerful ICE sedans in drag racing — Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing and BMW M5
- Tesla owner gets FSD Beta 10.5 even after the CNN FUD video (release notes, test videos)
- POTUS Biden gives all the credit of the EV revolution to GM and its CEO — ignores Tesla and Elon Musk
- Tesla Semi Truck spotted charging at the first Megacharger built at Giga Nevada (pics)