A short video of a 1/4-mile drag race between the Tesla Model S P100D and the Ferrari F12 surfaced on YouTube showing the sheer insult of the internal combustion sports car by the hands of a fully electric family sedan.
Tesla Model S Performance is the world’s quickest 0-60 mph production car with just 2.3 seconds, and with the launch of a Tri-Motor Plaid variant sometime later this year this time will be shoved off even further.
It is not the first time that the 6.5L V12 Ferrari F12 has challenged the Teslas, late last year it was even defeated by a Tesla Model 3 Performance in 200M and 400M drag races on an abandoned airport runway.
The specs of the Ferrari F12 (see table 1.1) show that it is ~1360 lbs lighter, has more torque compared to the Model S P100D but lacks the instant torque that helped our electric sedan win this race with flying colors.
|Options||Tesla Model S P100D||Ferrari F12|
|Battery-Pack/Engine||100 kWh Performance Version||6.5L V12|
|Drivetrain||Dual Motor Performance AWD||Rear-Wheel-Drive (RWD)|
|Transmission||Single Speed Clutchless 10:1Reduction Gear||7-speed automatic|
|0-60 mph||2.3s (with Cheetah Stance)||2.9s|
|Top speed||163 mph (262 km/h)||211 mph (340 km/h)|
|Launch control||Ludicrous+ Mode||N/A|
|Horsepower||588 hp (438 kW)||731 hp @ 8,250 rpm (545 kW)|
|Max.Torque||920 lb-ft (1,247 Nm) @ Instant||508 lb·ft @ 6,000 rpm (689 N·m)|
|Curb weight||4,960 lbs (2,250 kg)||3,600 lb (1,633 kg)|
|Starting Price (USD)||$94,990||$327,000|
The reign of ICE sports cars always winning at the track is certainly starting to fade away. Some automakers have realized this early — Porsche, for instance, made a smart move introducing its new Taycan EV. Can it rival the performance of a Tesla? Well, it has already challenged the Tesla Model S P100D multiple times and the clear winner isn’t too clear… yet.
- Tesla Model 3 takes on the giant 1100 hp Jeep Trackhawk in a drag race
- Nimble Model 3 Performance defeats Porsche 911 GT3 in autocross racing
- Watch this wrecked Tesla Model 3 charging and launching in Track Mode
- Tesla Referral winners start getting the Model 3 Forged Performance Wheels
- Edmunds impressed as Tesla Model Y Performance aces every track test (video)
- Tesla Model Y and Ford Mach-E spotted charging side-by-side — specs comparison
- ‘Tesla Short Shorts’ are here — demand breaks the Tesla website
- German man accidentally ordered 27 Tesla Model 3s online — worth 1.4 million Euros