The day and age have come where electric cars are challenging the internal-combustion sports cars at the dragstrip — especially Teslas. Now the Tesla Model S Performance takes on the small but mighty Ferrari F8 Tributo in a drag race.
YouTube channel DragTimes selected a Tesla Model S Performance (Raven) which is currently Tesla’s flagship car with a 0-60 mph time of of 2.3 seconds — the world’s quickest off-the-line production car.
Ferrari F8 Tributo on the other hand has the edge of being a smaller and lighter car housing a Twin Turbo V8 engine with 710 hp or power but costs around 3.5 times the Tesla Model S P100D.
Let’s look at some specs and price comparison in the following table to estimate the capabilities of each of these cars.
|2020 Tesla Model S Performance||2020 Ferrari F8 Tributo|
|Engine / Battery Pack||100 kWh Performance Version||3.9L Twin Turbo V8|
|Drivetrain||Dual Motor Performance AWD||Rear-Wheel-Drive (RWD)|
|Transmission||Single Speed Clutchless 10:1Reduction Gear||7-speed dual-clutch automatic (DCT)|
|0-60 mph||2.3 s (with Cheetah Stance)||2.8 s|
|Top Speed||163 mph (262 km/h)||211 mph (340 km/h)|
|Launch Control||Ludicrous+ Mode||N/A|
|Horsepower||588 hp (438 kW)||710 hp|
|Max.Torque||920 lb-ft (1,247 Nm) @ Instant||569 lb-ft|
|Curb weight||4,960 lbs (2,250 kg)||33450 lbs (1,565 kg)|
Being a 2.3s car, Tesla Model S accelerated quicker off-the-line in all 3 attempts but Ferrar F8 was able to leave the Model S behind midway of the dragstrip. The built for Performance Ferrari F8 Tributo beat the Model S Performance by almost 0.2s in each of the three attempts.
Tesla is currently in the phase of testing and development of the next-generation Model S Performance called the Plaid version. Model S Plaid will have a Tri-Motor drivetrain and is estimated to go from 0-60 mph in less than 2.0 seconds.
With the new cell chemistry & 4680 form factor coupled with an enhanced body and battery pack structure, the Plaid Model S will have 500+ miles of range, a higher top speed of 200+ mph as well.
It is strongly believed by Tesla and its vibrant CEO Elon Musk that the Plaid Model S will conquer most of the ICE supercars and still keep the price range under $140k. Since the Plaid Model S first deliveries are expected late next year, we will have an interesting time watching it beat ICE monsters on the race track.
Related Story: Tesla Model S drag races the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
Stay tuned and follow us for more interesting Tesla stuff:
Google News | Flipboard | RSS (Feedly).
- Watch how Tesla Model X Plaid electric SUV defeats a highly modified Porsche 992 Turbo S Coupe on a dragstrip
- Tesla engineer explains how the Drag Strip Mode feature on a Model S/X Plaid works (video)
- Tesla Semi and the Cybertruck engage in a friendly drag race outside Giga Texas (video)
- Tesla Model X Plaid goes drag racing against the fastest ICE SUVs — Urus Performante, Cayenne Turbo GT, BMW X5M, AMG GLE 63 S
- Unplugged Tesla Model S Plaid faces Ferrari Enzo in a drag racing challenge
- Tesla Model S Plaid faces its fiercest drag racing opponent, the Lucid Air Sapphire
- An odd but interesting drag race: Tesla Model 3 Performance vs. Rivian R1T electric pickup truck
- Tesla Model S Plaid goes drag racing against a 26 times more expensive Bugatti Chiron