Deliveries of the design refresh Tesla Model X (2021-22) were the last to reach the lucky few owners as Tesla mostly focused on delivering Model S Plaid. The new Model X luxury electric SUV also comes in a top-end Plaid performance variant that till now had been unseen on a dragstrip.
But thanks to DragTimes YouTube channel, we can finally witness a Model X Plaid making and breaking some acceleration records on the dragstrip.
Tesla Model X Plaid has 1,020 hp of power packed into its ~100 kWh battery pack with the capability of delivering instant torque to the wheels. Tesla claims that this massive 5,390 lbs (2445 kg) SUV can go from 0-60 mph in just 2.5 seconds (equal to a Bugatti Veyron hypercar that costs around $2M).
2022 Tesla Model X Specs & Price
|Tesla Model X Plaid||Tesla Model X AWD|
|Drivetrain||Tri-Motor AWD||Dual-Motor AWD|
|Motor type||AC permanent magnet synchronous motor, carbon-fiber-wrapped rotor, liquid-cooled, with variable frequency drive|
(1x motor in the front, 2x motors in the rear)
|AC permanent magnet synchronous motor, liquid-cooled, with variable frequency drive|
|Transmission||Single-speed fixed gear||Single-speed fixed gear|
|Range (EPA est.)||333 miles (534 km) with 20″ wheels|
311 miles (500 km) with 22″ wheels
|348 miles with 20″ wheels|
330 miles with 22″ wheels
|Acceleration||0-60 mph: 2.5 seconds|
0-100 km/h: 2.6 seconds
|0-60 mph: 3.8 seconds|
0-100 km/h: 3.9 seconds
|Top speed||163 mph (262 km/h)||155 mph (250 km/h)|
|Peak power||1,020 hp||670 hp|
|Weight||5,412 lbs (2,455 kg)||5,185 lbs (2,352 kg)|
|Drag Coefficient||0.24 Cd||0.24 Cd|
|1/4 mile||9.9 seconds||N/A|
|Seating capacity||6 seat configuration||5 seat included, 6 & 7 seat configurations optional|
|Towing capacity||5,000 lbs (2,268 kg)||5,000 lbs (2,268 kg)|
|Max Supercharging capacity||250 kW||250 kW|
In early Feb 2022, Aston Martin published a press release that claimed the Aston Martin DBX707 as the world’s most powerful luxury SUV. According to DragTimes host Brooks Weisblat, Aston Martin perhaps totally forgot about Tesla Model X Plaid and the 1,100 hp Jeep Trackhawk when putting forward this statement.
However, with the latest DragTimes video (below), Aston Martin should retreat from the claim and publicly apologize for the statement (just saying). The super-impressive specs (above) of Tesla Model X Plaid should be enough to humble the opinions of Aston Martin or any other internal combustion engine (ICE) automaker-making performance SUV.
In the past, Jeep Trackhawk has even lost a drag race to a much smaller Tesla Model Y.
In this test by DragTimes, Tesla Model X Plaid completed the quarter-mile in just 9.754 seconds — a new world record for an SUV. Tesla has been known to sandbagging performance numbers for its cars and we can see this figure is way better than the manufacturer spec (table above).
Model X Plaid performed the 0-60 mph acceleration in just 2.3 seconds, again much better than the original specs.
Let’s watch the show and get a dose of adrenaline rush.
- Tesla Model X Plaid loaded with 6 people defeats the Porsche 992 Turbo S in a drag racing battle (video)
- Tesla Model S Plaid faces a 1,400 hp Nissan GTR and a 1,000 hp Ford Mustang in a drag racing battle
- The ultimate drag racing battle: Tesla Model S Plaid vs. 1,200 hp Dodge Demon (video)
- Classic electric Porsche with a Tesla motor gives tough time to Porsche 911 GTS in a drag racing battle
- Electric SUV vs. supercar drag racing: Porsche 992 and Lamborghini Huracan face Tesla Model X Plaid
- Tesla Model X Plaid proves itself as the world’s quickest and most powerful SUV (video)
- Tesla Model S Plaid totally crushes the 1,111 hp Lucid Air Dream Performance in a drag racing battle
- Tesla Model S Plaid gets kicked out of the dragstrip for being “too fast”