The car enthusiast community always comes up with creative ideas to enjoy themselves and entertain others, and if a Tesla vehicle is involved, the adrenaline rush is on another level. The team from DragTimes and their friends did something new, loaded up a Tesla Model X Plaid with 6 people and challenged an ICE sportscar icon like the Porsche 992 Turbo S.
As much as this is a new and exciting idea, the odds of the Tesla Model X Plaid losing these races seem somewhat obvious. But beating the odds is Tesla’s real game both on the race track and in the auto industry.
Tesla Model X Plaid itself is a super-heavy large luxury SUV that weighs 5,412 lbs (2,455 kg). Loading six adults into the vehicle means another 1,000 lbs (~454 kg) is added — making it an almost 3.0-ton SUV — ready to conquer the dragstrip.
Model X Plaid vs. Porsche 992 Turbo S specs comparison
Let’s take a look at how both of these vehicles from different segments compare on the specification sheets.
|2022 Tesla Model X Plaid||2021 Porsche 992 Turbo S|
|Drivetrain||Tri-Motor AWD||All-Wheel Drive|
|Engine / Motors||AC permanent magnet synchronous motor,|
carbon-fiber-wrapped rotor, liquid-cooled, with variable frequency drive
(1x motor in the front, 2x motors in the rear)
|3.7L Flat Six Twin Turbo|
|Transmission||Single-speed fixed gear||8-Speed DCT|
|Acceleration (0-60 mph)||2.5 Seconds||2.1 Seconds|
|Top speed||163 mph (262 km/h)||205 mph (330 km/h)|
|Peak power||1,020 hp||640 hp|
|Drag coefficient||0.24 Cd||0.33 Cd|
|Weight (unladen)||5,412 lbs (2,455 kg)||3,560 lbs (1,615 kg)|
One thing that looked particularly interesting to me in these specifications is the coefficient of drag of both vehicles. Despite being a large family SUV, Tesla Model X has a fairly better drag coefficient (0.24 Cd) compared to the Porsche 992 (0.33 Cd).
Drag Racing Results
In the first round, although the Porsche 992 had a better launch and gained a bit of lead over the Tesla Model X Plaid, the Plaid was able to still beat the Porsche. Model X Plaid completed the quarter-mile in just 10.326 secs @139.30 mph while the Porsche 992 did it in 10.427 secs @131.59 mph.
The 2nd round was not much different, Porsche had a better launch and kept the lead halfway, it lost the 1/4-mile to the Model X Plaid with a close margin. Model X Plaid did it in 10.367 secs @138.67 mph and the Porsche 992 Turbo S did it in 10.481 secs @132.19 mph.
One thing about the Porsche 992 Turbo S is, that it has a crazy launch for a stock sportscar, a hyper-modded Nissan GTR previously was able to beat a Model S Plaid.
Let’s watch the interesting video that the Tesla official Twitter account has also retweeted just last night with the caption “Quickest acceleration of any SUV“.
- Watch how Tesla Model X Plaid electric SUV defeats a highly modified Porsche 992 Turbo S Coupe on a dragstrip
- Tesla engineer explains how the Drag Strip Mode feature on a Model S/X Plaid works (video)
- Tesla Semi and the Cybertruck engage in a friendly drag race outside Giga Texas (video)
- Tesla Model X Plaid goes drag racing against the fastest ICE SUVs — Urus Performante, Cayenne Turbo GT, BMW X5M, AMG GLE 63 S
- Unplugged Tesla Model S Plaid faces Ferrari Enzo in a drag racing challenge
- Tesla Model S Plaid faces its fiercest drag racing opponent, the Lucid Air Sapphire
- An odd but interesting drag race: Tesla Model 3 Performance vs. Rivian R1T electric pickup truck
- Tesla Model S Plaid goes drag racing against a 26 times more expensive Bugatti Chiron