The car enthusiast community always comes up with creative ideas to enjoy themselves and entertain others, and if a Tesla vehicle is involved, the adrenaline rush is on another level. The team from DragTimes and their friends did something new, loaded up a Tesla Model X Plaid with 6 people and challenged an ICE sportscar icon like the Porsche 992 Turbo S.
As much as this is a new and exciting idea, the odds of the Tesla Model X Plaid losing these races seem somewhat obvious. But beating the odds is Tesla’s real game both on the race track and in the auto industry.
Tesla Model X Plaid itself is a super-heavy large luxury SUV that weighs 5,412 lbs (2,455 kg). Loading six adults into the vehicle means another 1,000 lbs (~454 kg) is added — making it an almost 3.0-ton SUV — ready to conquer the dragstrip.
Model X Plaid vs. Porsche 992 Turbo S specs comparison
Let’s take a look at how both of these vehicles from different segments compare on the specification sheets.
|2022 Tesla Model X Plaid||2021 Porsche 992 Turbo S|
|Drivetrain||Tri-Motor AWD||All-Wheel Drive|
|Engine / Motors||AC permanent magnet synchronous motor,|
carbon-fiber-wrapped rotor, liquid-cooled, with variable frequency drive
(1x motor in the front, 2x motors in the rear)
|3.7L Flat Six Twin Turbo|
|Transmission||Single-speed fixed gear||8-Speed DCT|
|Acceleration (0-60 mph)||2.5 Seconds||2.1 Seconds|
|Top speed||163 mph (262 km/h)||205 mph (330 km/h)|
|Peak power||1,020 hp||640 hp|
|Drag coefficient||0.24 Cd||0.33 Cd|
|Weight (unladen)||5,412 lbs (2,455 kg)||3,560 lbs (1,615 kg)|
One thing that looked particularly interesting to me in these specifications is the coefficient of drag of both vehicles. Despite being a large family SUV, Tesla Model X has a fairly better drag coefficient (0.24 Cd) compared to the Porsche 992 (0.33 Cd).
Drag Racing Results
In the first round, although the Porsche 992 had a better launch and gained a bit of lead over the Tesla Model X Plaid, the Plaid was able to still beat the Porsche. Model X Plaid completed the quarter-mile in just 10.326 secs @139.30 mph while the Porsche 992 did it in 10.427 secs @131.59 mph.
The 2nd round was not much different, Porsche had a better launch and kept the lead halfway, it lost the 1/4-mile to the Model X Plaid with a close margin. Model X Plaid did it in 10.367 secs @138.67 mph and the Porsche 992 Turbo S did it in 10.481 secs @132.19 mph.
One thing about the Porsche 992 Turbo S is, that it has a crazy launch for a stock sportscar, a hyper-modded Nissan GTR previously was able to beat a Model S Plaid.
Let’s watch the interesting video that the Tesla official Twitter account has also retweeted just last night with the caption “Quickest acceleration of any SUV“.
Stay tuned for constant Tesla updates, follow us on:
Google News | Flipboard | RSS (Feedly).
- Watch how Tesla Model X Plaid electric SUV defeats a highly modified Porsche 992 Turbo S Coupe on a dragstrip
- Tesla engineer explains how the Drag Strip Mode feature on a Model S/X Plaid works (video)
- Tesla Semi and the Cybertruck engage in a friendly drag race outside Giga Texas (video)
- Tesla Model X Plaid goes drag racing against the fastest ICE SUVs — Urus Performante, Cayenne Turbo GT, BMW X5M, AMG GLE 63 S
- Unplugged Tesla Model S Plaid faces Ferrari Enzo in a drag racing challenge
- Tesla Model S Plaid faces its fiercest drag racing opponent, the Lucid Air Sapphire
- An odd but interesting drag race: Tesla Model 3 Performance vs. Rivian R1T electric pickup truck
- Tesla Model S Plaid goes drag racing against a 26 times more expensive Bugatti Chiron