Family-oriented Teslas are famous for taking on internal combustion engine (ICE) big boys in 1/4-mile drag races and they often shame them on the dragstrip, now the 5-seat Tesla Model Y Performance electric SUV invites the old and powerful Lamborghini Murciélago for a chance to test its throttle power against the silent intensity of the Model Y.
No doubt that this classic Lambo had an impact on me in my teen years when there was not Tesla or Elon Musk‘s sustainability mission wasn’t declared yet, as a car enthusiast I loved this masterpiece but in this day and age louder engines are becoming irrelevant.
The red Model Y in this video by Drag Times is so shiny because the host Brooks Weisblat got his car glass-coated before the going to the race track, the result of the wrap is amazing, the other wrapped in blue by Signature Custom Wraps also looks good, the one we reported a while back.
Let’s see a quick specs comparison between both the Tesla Model Y and Lamborghini Murciélago before jumping on to the drag race video in order to understand how they stand against each other on paper.
|Options||Tesla Model Y Performance||Lamborghini Murciélago|
|Drivetrain / Engine||Dual Motor AWD / ~75 kWh battery pack||All-Wheel-Drive / 6.2 L V12 RWD (coverted from Mid-Engine)|
|Power||473 HP||570 HP|
|Transmission||Single speed fixed gear||6-speed e-gear |
(electrohydraulic manual transmission)
|Acceleration 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h)||3.7 secs (source)||3.2 secs|
|Top Speed||155 mph (250 km/h)||206 mph (332 km/h)|
Oops, the Lambo was totally crushed by the instant torque of the Model Y, the way the Y took off the line was a bit insulting to the classic supercar, did not expect that to happen, Model Y Performance won by a margin so big that it’s not even worth mentioning the numbers here.
Drag Times showed a drag race between a Tesla Model 3 and a Model Y before this race and the Model 3 won that one but due to the Model Y’s better heat management mechanism, the repeated launches would be better than the Model 3 — and a Model 3 Performance owner test that the car can launch repeatedly 27 times in a row, Model Y needs to get tested for this, we will be updating as soon as this happens, so stay tuned.
Related Tesla Stories:
- Tesla Model Y takes Lamborghini Murciélago as its first-ever drag race opponent
- Tesla Model Y is the best EV yet — detailed video review
- Tesla Model Y gets a $3,000 price cut, more affordable variant coming soon
- Edmunds impressed as Tesla Model Y Performance aces every track test (video)
- Tesla Model 3 makes it to Chinese PUBG, the automaker unveils real-world replica in Shanghai
- Tesla Sentry Mode records the theft of a classic Porsche 911 in Spain
- German man accidentally ordered 27 Tesla Model 3s online — worth 1.4 million Euros
- China: Tesla Model 3 glass roof is tough enough to endure even a rollover