Elon Musk is a fan and inventor of tech easter eggs inspired by the arcade video games that influenced his childhood era. When Tesla Model S first launched in 2012 no one except him knew what the Tesla lineup nomenclature would look like in the future.
But with the passage of time, it turned out to be a funny reference to a basic human instinct — Model S, 3, X, Y go to the dragstrip against each other in the latest video by an automotive enthusiast YouTube channel named Throttle House.
All of the Tesla cars taking part in this competition are the ‘Performance’ variant of each model, so we can guess it would be a good drag race.
Although with the Cheetah Stance, a Tesla Model S Performance Raven can go from 0-60 mph in just 2.3 seconds, let’s see a comparative chart of basic performance figures of these cars to see the difference on paper.
|Options||Model S P100D||Model 3 Performance||Model X P100D||Model Y Performance|
|Battery Pack||100 kWh||~75 kWh||100 kWh||~75 kWh|
|Drivetrain||Dual-Motor AWD||Dual-Motor AWD||Dual-Motor AWD||Dual-Motor AWD|
|0 – 60 mph||2.3s||3.2s||2.6s||3.5s|
|Top Speed||163 mph (262 km/h)||162 mph (261 km/h)||163 mph (262 km/h)||155 mph (250 km/h)|
|Adaptive Air Suspension||Yes||N/A||Yes||N/A|
As expected, Model S won both the races including the rolling start, it is the quickest production sedan on this planet right now electric and internal combustion combined.
However, other Teslas also gave it a tough time, Model Y being the slowest of this lot remained at the last position but its competitors were fierce. We recently saw the Model Y challenging a Lamborghini Murcielago on the dragstrip and the result was surprising.
The white Tesla Model 3 Performance seen in this race video is owned by Trevor Page of Tesla Owners Online and he recorded some interesting behind the scenes in the following video.
- A gutted Tesla Model S Plaid faces a Rail Dragster in a drag racing competition (video)
- An odd but interesting drag race: Tesla Model 3 Performance vs. Rivian R1T electric pickup truck
- Another Tesla Model S vs. Porsche Taycan drag race — the perfect rivals (video)
- Classic electric Porsche with a Tesla motor gives tough time to Porsche 911 GTS in a drag racing battle
- Tesla phone app has a “Charge Your Non-Tesla” section, v4.19 provides better battery insights
- Tesla FSD Beta v11.3.2 (2022.45.11) wide release starts rolling out, watch the initial tests
- Cadillac’s China sales team parks a LYRIQ electric SUV at a Supercharger station in a desperate attempt to lure Tesla owners
- Here’s how to calibrate your Tesla Model Y or Model 3 windows using Service Mode or with manual adjustment (video)