A Tesla hacker who goes on Twitter by the name of “green” on Twitter shared a bunch of Tesla Semi diagrams on the social media platform. When I asked him how he obtained these pictures, he said he got them from the automaker’s online parts catalog website aka EPC.
So, I logged into my Tesla account and looked for the Tesla Semi parts catalog but it was not on the list. Ethical hacker “green” got these photos even before the Tesla Semi catalog is published by digging deep into the website.
However, these Tesa Semi diagrams and a sample VIN label are interesting to look at, especially for those planning to buy one of these class-8 electric trucks in the future.
Tesla Semi Battery Pack
Since Tesla Semi was unveiled in 2017, the location of the battery pack, its shape, and the capacity (in kWh) have been kept a secret by Tesla. But a diagram from these leaked images opens up some of this information to us (see diagram 1.1 below).
As we can see in the above diagram, the large battery pack is located under the Tesla Semi cabin. The battery pack of the Tesla Semi consists of 9 modules that are shaped like square blocks. Three blocks in the mid-row seem to be larger compared to the ones on the side rows.
Unexpectedly, Tesla designed the battery pack of the Tesla Semi truck quite differently from the ones we have seen in other Teslas like the Model Y and 3, etc.
The division of these modules into different blocks might be an indication of a replaceable battery module as these trucks will be accumulating a large number of miles in their lifespans. But this has yet to be officially confirmed by Tesla (TSLA).
Braking, Suspension, and High Voltage (HV) systems
The diagrams highlighting the braking systems and suspension components are also fascinating to look at.
Since these diagrams are not labeled with details, the information is scarce right now. We will need to wait for the automaker’s official Tesla Semi parts catalog to be published. Because Tesla started Semi-truck deliveries on December 1st, 2022 — the parts catalog might get online very soon.
Tesla Semi Interior and Cabin Diagrams
Some of these diagrams highlight different systems and components of the Tesla Semi interior and cabin space like infotainment, driver’s seat, steering wheel, etc. (see diagrams 3.1 to 3.5 below).
Tesla VIN Label
Along with the above technical diagrams of the Tesla Semi truck, a sample VIN label was also discovered by Mr. green. This label has some information about the Tesla Semi’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and how much each of this weight each axle is able to bear.
The 22,135 kg (48,800 lb) of GVWR mentioned on this label is just for the bobtail Tesla Semi (without the trailer). When the trailer is attached to the truck, another set of axles is automatically attached to the trailer’s rear wheels, so adding that brings the total GVWR to ~37,200 kg (82,000 lb).
This label also includes Tesla Semi wheel and tire sizes and other respective cold tire pressure ratings as well. However, for an official confirmation of these numbers we will have to wait for the Tesla Semi owner’s manual.
|GVWR||Tires||Rims||Cold Tire Pressure|
|Front Axle||5,715 kg (12,600 lb)||275/80R22.5||22.5X8.25||310kPa, 45psi|
|Int Axle||8,210 kg (18,100 lb)||275/80R22.5||22.5X8.25||310kPa, 45psi|
|Rear Axle||8,210 kg (18,100 lb)||275/80R22.5||22.5X8.25||310kPa, 45psi|
- Tesla Semi trucks impress in real-world range and performance testing, first PepsiCo driver shares his review of the electric long hauler
- Tesla Semi and the Cybertruck engage in a friendly drag race outside Giga Texas (video)
- 38 Tesla Semi trucks spotted at Frito-Lay facility in Modesto, CA — PepsiCo to expand Megacharger network, more
- Tesla Semi 750 kW dedicated charging station, charge port, and connector, spotted in new pictures from the Frito-Lay parking lot
- Tesla’s $3.6B expansion of Giga Nevada aims at 100 GWh of 4680 cells and Semi-truck volume production
- Elon Musk, Tesla, and the Governor of Nevada to announce a new $3.5 billion Tesla Semi factory
- Tesla Semi parts catalog diagrams show its huge battery pack, other systems, and components
- Sandy Munro weighs in on the leaked Cybertruck casting image, intends to teardown Tesla Semi