Acceleration and speed are the only things that come to mind when the German Autobahn and a Tesla Plaid are mentioned together.
The AutoTopNL / YouTube team took a 2023 Tesla Model S Plaid to the Autobahn last month to show us how quick and fast the car can be when given freedom.
The German Autobahn which translates to Auto Track is one of the world’s longest highway networks stretching 8,197 miles (13,192 km). But there are only a certain number of stretches that are free of any speed limits.
On these No Speed Limit parts of the Autobahn, Tesla Model S Plaid was accelerated to its maximum speed limit. In this video, we can observe Tesla Model S Plaid reaching top speeds of up to 267 km/h (~166 mph).
162 mph (261 km/h) is the software-limited top speed of a Tesla Model S Plaid on paper. But with paid upgrades and a specific set of wheels, it can deliver up to 200 mph (322 km/h).
Even though some parts of the Autobahn are free of speed limits, certain other limitations always apply to the driver. Tailgating on the Autobahn is taken seriously and can result in a fine of up to 400 euros ($435) and suspension of the license for up to 3 months.
Data suggests that the average speed of these No Speed Limit zones of the Autobahn is 142 km/h.
Generally, there is a 130 km/h speed limit applied where the German Autobahn is passing through urban areas or if there is repair work going on ahead, or if the zone is more accident prone.
Surprisingly, the German Autobahn with its loose speed limits has a significantly lower fatality rate compared to the stricter United States highways. There are only 3.7 deaths per 100,000 on the Autobahn compared to 12.4 in the United States.
Let’s watch how quickly the Tesla Model S Plaid gains top speeds on the German Autobahn and do let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
- Cybertruck in Beast Mode beats a Porsche 911 in drag racing while pulling another one
- Watch how Tesla Cybertruck performs in a crash safety test against ICE pickup trucks
- Tesla Cybertruck starts at $60,990 — the AWD variant might qualify for the Federal Tax Credit
- Cybertruck Delivery Event live updates, Watch the live-stream recording, more
- Tesla releases Cybertruck Delivery Event details, entry will require QR code scanning, TSLA stock price surges, more
- Watch the Tesla Cybertruck drive through the salty sea water like a boss
- Canada’s lone Cybertruck attracts massive crowds waiting in line to get a first look, more Tesla showrooms get it in the US
- Tesla silences critics with Cybertruck’s immaculate build quality and perfect panel gaps, delivers it to more showrooms before Black Friday