Tesla (TSLA) has finally unveiled the goodies that can unleash the full potential of a Model S Plaid. Tesla enthusiasts have been waiting for this option since the electric automaker delivered the first Plaid Model S in June 2021.
The automaker is now offering a hardware and software bundle called the Track Package. The Tesla Model S Plaid Track Pack unlocks track-level handling and the much-awaited 200 mph (~322 km/h) top speed.
Without the Track Package, Tesla has software-limited the top speed of a Tesla Model S Plaid to around 162 mph or 260 km/h (watch on Autobahn).
Tesla Model S Plaid Track Package appeared on the official Tesla online shop yesterday and has already gone popular among the Tesla enthusiast community.
Tesla wrote the following description of the Model S Plaid Track Package:
Designed for the ultimate track experience, the Model S Plaid Track Package delivers high-speed stability, maximum cornering force and repeatable stopping power during high-performance driving while unlocking a top speed of 200 mph.
The Track Package includes aluminum forged wheels, track-ready tires and brake fluid, new carbon-silicon carbide rotors, and one-piece forged calipers with high-performance pads.
Our rotors feature continuous-fiber technology and are constructed in a unique 3D matrix to add strength and manage heat more effectively. For additional durability, a ceramic friction layer covers the entire rotor surface to reduce brake dust, corrosion and wear while also improving pedal feel for daily driving.
The stock brake calipers of Tesla Model S Plaid have long been a target of criticism by owners and enthusiasts. The braking performance of the car is not at par with these stock brakes, especially on a race track.
Tesla Model S Plaid stock brake calipers are too small for full-throttle experiments with track-level braking.
Although the larger carbon ceramic brakes were available from Tesla’s online shop, they cost a hefty $20,000. Now in the same price range ($15K – $20K), Tesla is offering the entire Track Package including wheels, tires, single-piece forged brake calipers, brake rotors, brake fluid, and the software update.
Tesla included Goodyear Supercar 3R (Eagle F1) tires in the Model S Plaid Track Package. These are purely summer performance tires and Tesla recommends not to use them in temperatures of 40℉ (5℃) or below.
Here’s the entire list of hardware items included in the Tesla Model S Plaid Track Package:
Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit:
- 2x 410 x 40mm carbon-silicon carbide front rotors
- 2x 410 x 32mm carbon-silicon carbide rear rotors
- 2x 6-piston one-piece forged front calipers with high-performance brake pads
- 2x 4-piston one-piece, forged rear calipers with high-performance brake pads
- 2x integrated, caliper-mounted parking brakes
- Track-ready brake fluid
- Updated FW tuned for peak performance
- 2x 20X10J, Zero-G wheels with 285/35R20 Goodyear Supercar 3R tires (front)
- 2x 20X11J, Zero-G wheels with 305/30R20 Goodyear Supercar 3R tires (rear)
- TPMS, Zero-G center caps, tire nut valves, and lug nut covers
The availability of the Tesla Model S Plaid Track Package will begin in June 2023 and it can only be ordered by Model S Plaid owners via the Tesla Mobile App.
In addition to the hardware components, Model S Plaid Track Package also includes customized Track Mode software by Tesla.
Tesla Model S Plaid has been conquering dragstrips since its launch. It will be worth watching the track performance of this luxury family sedan with the new Track Package.
However, with 3rd-party customizations such as Unplugged Performance, Tesla Model S Plaid has already conquered the likes of Pikes Peak and Laguna Seca.
- Watch how Tesla Model X Plaid electric SUV defeats a highly modified Porsche 992 Turbo S Coupe on a dragstrip
- Tesla engineer explains how Drag Strip Mode works on a Model S/X Plaid (video)
- Tesla Semi and the Cybertruck engage in a friendly drag race outside Giga Texas (video)
- Tesla Model X Plaid goes drag racing against the fastest ICE SUVs — Urus Performante, Cayenne Turbo GT, BMW X5M, AMG GLE 63 S
- Unplugged Tesla Model S Plaid faces Ferrari Enzo in a drag racing challenge
- Tesla Model S Plaid faces its fiercest drag racing opponent, the Lucid Air Sapphire