The day since Elon Musk took over Twitter has been a roller coaster ride. But the most interesting twist in the story has just taken its turn. The suspended Twitter account of the former United States President Donald Trump has been reinstated by Elon Musk.
The previous management of Twitter had decided to block Donald Trump’s account during the 2020 Capitol riots. The account was since suspended as Twitter leadership stood firm on its actions. This suspension was led by the then Twitter legal affairs chief Vijaya Gadde who was also fired by Musk and received a ~$35M package for it.
On Friday, Elon Musk who has chosen the title of Chief Twit at his newly-acquired social media company Twitter started a poll on the platform asking people if Donald Trump’s account should be reinstated.
In a follow-up tweet on this poll, Musk wrote “Vox Populi, Vox Dei,” which is a Latin phrase meaning “the voice of the people is the voice of God”. So the majority has cast its vote in favor of Donald Trump.
According to one of Musk’s latest tweets, this Twitter-Trump poll has been viewed by 134 million people. The poll received more than 15 million votes (15,085,458) out of which 51.8% were in favor of the reinstatement of President Trump’s Twitter account and 48.2% were against it.
However, according to the background information shared by Elon Musk, the poll was attacked by bot & troll armies and he has some useful data now to fix similar issues in the future.
At the time of this writing, it has been more than 5 hours since the poll results have been announced and the Twitter account of the 45th President of the United States Donald J. Trump has been reinstated but Trump hasn’t tweeted yet.
When Donald Trump’s account was restored, it was not showing many followers. Elon Musk said that Twitter engineers are working to solve the issue. I checked it 1 hour ago, and the account was showing 9.1M followers, but now the count has risen to 25.1M, this data will be restored in a few hours I guess.
Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below.
- Elon Musk takes Benjamin Netanyahu for a Cybertruck test drive, after a discussion on the future of AI and freedom of speech (videos)
- Tesla’s Dojo prediction by Morgan Stanley boosts TSLA stock price, report shows how critical the FSD supercomputer is for Musk’s tech empire
- Elon Musk demonstrates Tesla FSD 12 in a live stream on X, not a single line of code is used to build this non-beta version of Autopilot
- Elon Musk gives Cybertruck production and delivery event update, shares pictures of the Tesla truck from Giga Texas
- Elon Musk bids farewell to Tesla CFO and Master of Coin Zachary Kirkhorn after 13 long years at the company
- Elon Musk rebrands Twitter to ‘X’, a logo that is just a font character
- Tesla (TSLA) scores record revenue in Q2 2023, gross margin drops to 18.2%, Earnings Call highlights, more
- Starship to get 3 more vacuum engines for a total of 42, SpaceX upgrades OLM at Starbase, Raptor V3 attains new milestone