The day since Elon Musk took over Twitter has been a roller coaster ride. But the most interesting twist in the story has just taken its turn. The suspended Twitter account of the former United States President Donald Trump has been reinstated by Elon Musk.
The previous management of Twitter had decided to block Donald Trump’s account during the 2020 Capitol riots. The account was since suspended as Twitter leadership stood firm on its actions. This suspension was led by the then Twitter legal affairs chief Vijaya Gadde who was also fired by Musk and received a ~$35M package for it.
On Friday, Elon Musk who has chosen the title of Chief Twit at his newly-acquired social media company Twitter started a poll on the platform asking people if Donald Trump’s account should be reinstated.
In a follow-up tweet on this poll, Musk wrote “Vox Populi, Vox Dei,” which is a Latin phrase meaning “the voice of the people is the voice of God”. So the majority has cast its vote in favor of Donald Trump.
According to one of Musk’s latest tweets, this Twitter-Trump poll has been viewed by 134 million people. The poll received more than 15 million votes (15,085,458) out of which 51.8% were in favor of the reinstatement of President Trump’s Twitter account and 48.2% were against it.
However, according to the background information shared by Elon Musk, the poll was attacked by bot & troll armies and he has some useful data now to fix similar issues in the future.
At the time of this writing, it has been more than 5 hours since the poll results have been announced and the Twitter account of the 45th President of the United States Donald J. Trump has been reinstated but Trump hasn’t tweeted yet.
When Donald Trump’s account was restored, it was not showing many followers. Elon Musk said that Twitter engineers are working to solve the issue. I checked it 1 hour ago, and the account was showing 9.1M followers, but now the count has risen to 25.1M, this data will be restored in a few hours I guess.
Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below.
- Elon Musk reinstates former US President Donald Trump’s Twitter account after a poll went in his favor
- Elon Musk’s recent visit to Mexico sparks rumors of an upcoming Tesla plant in Santa Catarina, Nuevo León
- SEC filing reveals Elon Musk is now the sole director of Twitter, Inc. — the entire board is fired
- Elon-Twitter saga: fired executives to get huge compensations, mainstream media trolled, Musk sets new Twitter ad policy
- Elon Musk enters the Twitter HQ carrying a sink, won’t be laying off 75% employees, sacks CEO, reports
- Demand for Tesla vehicles is excellent, Elon Musk on Q3 2022 Earnings Call
- Elon Musk sold 20,000 bottles of Burnt Hair perfume by the Boring Company within a day of its launch
- Buying Twitter is going to accelerate the creation of X, the everything app — says Musk